Sunday, March 2, 2008

Santa Ana Winds

Man, riding in the wind sucks but you don't know sucks until you have ridden in the Santa Ana winds. It was so bad I had to turn around and go 125 miles out of my way in order to close a 30 mile distance. I am not sure what the actual wind speeds were but they were blowing semi trucks over on their side.

There were a couple of HD Electra Glides and Road Kings that went by me with no problems but my Buell XB12X is too light and too high to counter act the winds. I wanted to get home to go out and see some live music but that didn't happen. It took me over 6 hours for something that should have taken 2.5.

There did not seem to be any warning and the weather just on the other side of the mountains was clam and clear. I guess it is all a part of the adventure here in the Southern California area. In reality the winds are only problematic a handful of times out of the year. I rode again today and although the winds were still blowing they were tolerable. It also helped that I had my side cases off.

No comments: